To read, to write, to think critically, to reason, to analyze and evaluate information, to communicate effectively in a variety of forms, and to inquire systematically into any important matter—that is literacy, and literacy is critical to full participation in a democratic society.
— Cornerstone Literacy
Cornerstone Literacy provides comprehensive professional development designed to build the capacity of teachers, principals, and school-based coaches who guide the learning of children. We initiate our work in kindergarten through third grade and expand its influence over time. The learning experience is not prescriptive nor exactly the same across districts. Instead, it is responsive to the needs and directions drawn from school-based data.
Cornerstone professional development is delivered primarily through professional learning communities, school site visits, and our professional development institutes. These and other mechanisms allow us to incorporate a number of key training components which, when used in combination, have a tremendous impact:
- Presentation of theory or description of skill or strategy
- Opportunities to engage in the use of new techniques and strategies
- Modeling or demonstration of skills or models of teaching
- Practice in simulated and classroom settings
- Structured and open-ended feedback (provision of information about performance)
- Coaching for application (hands-on, in-classroom assistance with the transfer of skills and strategies to the classroom)